Success with Seeds

clbselahMay 14, 2011

Can I get some short basic info on the kind of success (or lack of) that you've had with these seeds...I usually by small perennials and a FEW annuals. But this year, for the first time, I am trying annuals from seeds. I've planted the ones below in plastic 20 inch pots on my porch (morning sun, late afternoon shade) Having to be patient and wait on the seeds, is enough to send me back to just buying the plants next year:) The seeds were planted in pots around plants already in the pots (amarylis, asiatic lily, hibiscus, turtle head chelone)

The seeds are: Carnation, Cosmos, Foxglove, Nasturnium, Petunia, Phlox, Poppy, Portulaca, Salvia, Zinnia, Angel's Trumpet, Celosia, Cleome, Coleus, Delphinium, Yarrow. (as you can tell I was in the nursey and went crazy buying everything I liked!). Basically I'm just looking for whether they're good growers, easy to spout (or not), whether the seeds will drop off miss the pot and spread on the ground, prone to pests, etc....)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Two books from Parks Seeds are helpful references. "Parks Success with Seeds" and "Parks Success with Herbs". Al

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 8:14AM
susan2010(6 Massachusetts)

The Growing From Seed forum here may help. Search that forum for the particular plant you want to start, and you'll get a lot of information.

Of all those you listed, I suspect you'll have the most luck with nasturtiums and zinnias.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 3:24PM
tempusflits

The web site in link below will help with annuals. Also, you might want to try winter sowing next year. It's a good and simple way to start a lot of perennial plants. Check out the Winter Sowing forum here for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: starting flowers from seeds

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 3:42PM
ykerzner(9 TX)

Cosmos, poppy, and phlox are also good from seed. Poppy seeds should be lightly pressed into the soil as they are really small.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Can anyone predict future of this coconut tree?
its been around 6 months since I have potted this local...
amriteanukul112
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Small container producing good?
hi.. my experiments with potted plants Fertilizers...
amriteanukul112
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™