douglas fir needles as Vegi mulch?

korynFebruary 11, 2010

I have a lot of Douglas Fir trees in the back yard and have to clean up the needles from the drie way all the time. My question is this.

Would this type of pine needle be ok to use as a mulch in my new vegetable garden?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyrus_gardner(8)

Yes it is. Pine needles make good mulch.
Down south, pine needles (also called pine straw) is used extensivly as mulch for trees, shrubs, flower beds and gardens. It is prettier and better than woodchip mulch because it will not attract certain bugs.
You can even mix the broken ones with your garden soil. They might be slightlt acidic but not much. By the end of the season, pine needle mulch will be broken and can be mixed into soil.
Use the top fresh one to mulch.

Bookmark   February 12, 2010 at 12:06AM
rosessecretgarden

Pine needles form great mulch !

Just mix with other compostable materials in layers and you're good to go. Compost does best when there is an equal mix of greens (fresh plant trimmings, kitchen veggie trimmings and grass clippings) and browns (shredded newspaper, brown pine needles, fallen leaves, etc.)

Bookmark   February 12, 2010 at 10:06AM
cyrus_gardner(8)

Pine needles have a tough coat that will take a while to be broken down, much like oak leaves. That is why , fresh needle are suited for mulch and old ones as soil amendment and in composts. My native GA red clay garden soil mainly has been conditioned with pine needles, maple leave, oak leaves, wood ash, compost and leaf molds. This way I have made about 500 sq-ft garden area without buying anything.

Bookmark   February 13, 2010 at 5:30AM
More Discussions
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™