Please help me draw the lawn / bed Iines for backyard
I started from scratch for our backyard, and started planting the bones last fall. Now I need to decide what the final layout will be for the lawn and beds, so I can draw the lines and start more planting.
I want a flowing landscaped look that makes the yard look deeper instead of a shallow and wide rectangle. Also want to disguise the large house in front while keeping the open views.
I pulled arial map of the house and drew on it.
* Property boundary is in brown.
* I have marked the good views, and views to hide with black crosses and check marks.
* neighbor's trees and structures that affect my design are marked.
* I haven't decided whether to add a tree next to the deck. I am leaning towards it because house gets too hot in Summer. But want to keep the canopy small to be able to plant enough variety underneath. No large maples. I was thinking narrower Ginkgo, large crape myrtle, or other small trees. Want canopy to be high so I have clear view from lower floor. Also considered shading the deck with sail cloth, pergola, umbrella, but house would still be hot.
* The grey area I want to add a paved area to put a fire pit
* So far I have started the conifer bed and the two perennial beds. The hydrangeas and the Skylands is planted.
* I have drawn the bed line I was thinking of.
Help me draw the bed line, and where you would put taller trees, shorter trees, tall, short shrubs. The south-western side I can visualize as a curve, but I get lost on the east side. Where to bring the bed lines out into the lawn, where to curve back. I think it will look nice to keep a flowing lawn into the north east corner around the deck. I want an oval-ish open area in the center for lawn games and parties.
More pictures follow. Please help!
This post was edited by wannabeGardnr on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 0:52