How many pepper plants can i plant in this?

NoRoom2GrowMay 17, 2012

I know about the general one plant per pot suggestion but i have a low budget.

I have jalapeno, sweet bell and yellow cayenne. Enough for same variety in single pot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dimensions: 15" round opening 10" deep

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I would say only one. More important, I don't see any drainage holes. If there aren't any, I suggest drilling a few.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 1:22AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

One plant, and that's it.
Ditto on the drainage hole.

Josh

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 11:07AM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

but ,you already knew that lol

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 2:31AM
NoRoom2Grow

LOL! yes, but I was hoping someone has planted more than one in a similar container and push me to do it.. oh well.. $19.99 for one plant..

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 3:30AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I know of many folks who overcrowd their peppers.
The plants are smaller and the harvest more modest as a result.

Josh

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 12:31PM
ray4852

Get rid of that thing. you can do better with one gallon plastic pails or get one of these.

http://ezgrogarden.com/

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 3:26PM

$ 20 you can buy many more practical but not as pretty containers
I would have bought 7 buckets from Home Depot planter one pepper in each

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:19AM
NoRoom2Grow

I didnt buy it.. lol it was a gift from my sister.

I ended up going to Dollar Tree and got 3 Gallon Buckets. Drilled a bunch of holes and planted them individually.

Now 2 of my Tomato Plants have leaf curl so Im trying to find a solution.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 2:17AM

And what are you trying to grow toms in ,?

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 8:27PM
NoRoom2Grow

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 2:16PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

There you go! Good choice!

Josh

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 4:04PM
NoRoom2Grow

Thanks! As you can see, that is the only spot there is Sunshine in the back. Unless I fill the pool with potting mix? LOL!

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 7:36PM
ju1234((8 Dallas TX))

I did container planting for the first time this year. Used the 3 gallon buckets from Dollar Tree for a dollar each. After two months, i am really disappointed. The growth of all the plants is stunted, fruit inadequate in spite of adequate water food and sun. I was searching for reasons and found few articles on "root development of vegetable plants" I was surprised that most of them grow as much as 3-4 feet deep. There is no space in the buckets for that kind of growth. That is perhaps the reason my plants are not producing well. So, I am going to make real areas in the ground and transfer my plants into those. Any suggestions are welcome. here is a link to detailed study of root development: www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 12:41PM
ju1234((8 Dallas TX))

I did container planting for the first time this year. Used the 3 gallon buckets from Dollar Tree for a dollar each. After two months, i am really disappointed. The growth of all the plants is stunted, fruit inadequate in spite of adequate water food and sun. I was searching for reasons and found few articles on "root development of vegetable plants" I was surprised that most of them grow as much as 3-4 feet deep. There is no space in the buckets for that kind of growth. That is perhaps the reason my plants are not producing well. So, I am going to make real areas in the ground and transfer my plants into those. Any suggestions are welcome. here is a link to detailed study of root development: www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 12:43PM
ykerzner(9 TX)

Right you are, ju1234. You did not specify what you are growing in those containers, but if it's peppers or tomatoes, then it really depends on the variety. Most peppers need at least 5-6 gallons to produce well, and at least 8 gallons for tomatoes. However, there are many variations. Patio can grow and produce in a 3-gallon pot, as can Redskin Mini Bell Pepper and the hot ornamental peppers. There are several other dwarf tomato species that produce well in small pots, including Sweet'N'Neat and possibly Red Robin.

Ideal size for tomatoes is more like 10-gallon pots; for peppers it's 7-8 gallon.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 6:33PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Ideal size for indeterminate tomatoes is probably 25-30 gallons. They really would prefer to grow in the ground. Mine generally grow 10-14 feet tall in 25 gallon pots. A plant that size grows roots that match the plant in volume. But you can grow them in pots. I believe that 15 gallons is probably the minimum for indeterminates. The smallest pot I use these days is 20 gallons, and it is packed with roots at the end of the season. You have to water everyday during the hottest part of the summer in anything smaller.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™