Suggestions for foundation planting under the following condition

editornj(7 Coastal NJ)March 28, 2011

Hi there,

I have a slope on the South/West side of my house that is dangerous to mow. It's about 15 feet long, and I'd like the bed to be about 4 to 5 feet deep. There aren't any windows.

We get really harsh winds from the bay so I guess it should be something that will hold up during the winter. During the summer it would be hot day and afternoon sun.

Evergreen would be awesome. Flowering would be great (but I guess you can't have it all?) Maybe a few 6' shrubs, then some 3' shrubs? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

Your first problem will be that once the grass/weeds are removed from this slope you have opened it up to erosion. So it would be best to terrace across the slope with railroad ties or rocks to stabilize it. Then plant ten beach plum bushes (Prunus maritima) on the slope underplanted with either Bar Harbor juniper (Juniperous horizontalis 'Bar Harbor') or Shore juniper (Juniperous conferta) which will remain low growing and in time cover the slope. This will give you all year green plus decidous shrubs which bloom in the spring and bear a fruiting crop for jelly and pies. All three plant types will grow well in the adverse situation you describe.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 2:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
editornj(7 Coastal NJ)

Great, thanks! The junipers will be very slow to spread, no? At least the ones I have on the southeast side of the house have barely grown in the past two years.

Very helpful. Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
Need design help for this newbie!
My husband and I are undertaking what has turned out...
stillasprout
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, ** I also posted this in the tips and techniques...
aligal266
Small Tree Suggestions
I have a 20 x 20 concrete patio that I'd like to put...
kristinainaustin
Drainage issues!
Hoping the drainage experts can contribute. We have...
mrsgoss
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™