Container Size for Sugar Snap Peas?

jewelgirl04(NJ 7)May 14, 2009

Hi, all! I've been growing pea seedlings inside my house for a few weeks and now, they're ready to be transplanted. I would really like to use only one container, as I have a 54" tomato cage already in my possession. What is the minimum size I can use for about eight pea seedlings? Can I use a 5-gal bucket or can I get away with something smaller?

Thanks!

Danielle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bumble_doodle(Z5 CT)

I grew peas in 5 gallon bucket last year and they did quite well. I don't recall how many I had in each bucket but it was definitely more than 8 (I direct sowed and used innoculent). Be sure to stake them - I hung mine about 5 feet off the ground and ended up with a pea blob that climbed all over itself, the cukes next door, the fence - you get the idea...

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 2:37PM
jaclyn6bva

I've got mine planted in under the bed storage containers - the first round, i should have planted them closer together - there are about 15 or so seedlings in there now. I did inoculate them, and they seem to be pretty happy, despite all the rain we've been having around here!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 2:45PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

I've grown mine in 3.5 gallon buckets, five plants to the bucket, BUT this it was a little crowded, I'll cut back to four plants per bucket from here on out.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™