Help redesigning front bed

Annette HolbrookMarch 1, 2012

This is the bed in the front of my house. It is an area that is between the front stoop and the other door is the kitchen porch door. As you can see from the pics it was planted with some evergreens and some summer annual. Everything in the bed has now been removed except for some Helleborous that is clustered on the end furthest from the front door. I will leave that if possible.

The issue with the bed is that a) it doesn't drain very well and to fix the drainage would be very costly at this point and b) the 2/3 up against the house is TOTAL shade and then the front part (where the annuals are) is baking sun due to the position of the house.

I was thinking rock garden and a bench, maybe some conifers? I'm at a loss, I know it could be really charming, just need some ideas.

Here's a pic of the whole house, area in question is between the front door (center of house) over to kitchen door (toward left).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annette Holbrook

Here are some pics of the bed today, will finish clearing it this weekend. The ferns will probably get moved (DH loves them I hate them, there too messy).

Note the small clump of Lenten rose on left. There was a beautiful Daphne there for years. It was killed by a tree that knocked the gutter off the house and the gutter sliced the Daphne down the center, so the locale is good for a Daphne.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Trying to design a border in front of elevated deck
I want to plant several shrubs in front of my elevated...
northraleighguy
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Sponsored Products
King 510TC Flat Sheet - IVORY (KING FLAT)
$139.90 | Horchow
DENY Designs Bianca Green Leafy Fleece Throw Blanket - 13897-FLELAR
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Beatrice Platform Bed
$114.99 | zulily
Serta Raised Queen-size Airbed with NeverFlat AC Pump
Overstock.com
King Embroidered Percale Duvet Cover - WHITE/ WILLOW
$400.00 | Horchow
Liberty Furniture Alexandria Sleigh Bed & Dresser & Mirror & Chest in Autumn Bro
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™