Help! Tomato Leaf Curl! How & Why? What now? lol

NoRoom2GrowMay 19, 2012

Here is the info:

2 Plants - Burpee Golden Jubilee Tomatoes

1 Plant per 6.5 gal square planter from Home Depot. (I know they are Indet and should be in bigger pot)

Used Bonnie Herb and Vegetable 8-4-4 Plant Food 1/2 strength up until the 11th of May when I gave them full.

Maybe they are low on Nitrogen?

These guys were doing just fine up until last week. Started from the bottom and worked its way up. Now they look like they are dying. Still pretty green though.. Heres a Pic I took last week:

Is there any way that I can save them? Or should I take a loss and plant something else in there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NoRoom2Grow

Forgot to add medium: Miracle Grow Potting Mix

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 2:30AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

That's not bad. They look fine to me. It could be much worse. I think that mine curled last year from the heat. They relaxed later on in the season. Nothing to worry about IMO.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 10:34AM
turnerm3

Mine looked exactly the same this year when I didn't properly harden them. They are okay now, but the one that suffered the most is obviously stunted.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 7:01PM
suburbangardenMD(7)

Good lord! You should see my two Green Grape Tomato plants! They look like something out of a Stephen King novel, gnarly doesn't begin to describe them!

Those look fine to me.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 10:11PM
NoRoom2Grow

Updated pics :

2nd plant below

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 2:08PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Could be a mild case of fertilizer burn. And/or too much moisture. Watch out for both in MiracleGro potting mix.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 4:33PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Yeah, back way off on the watering... Let that mix dry out quite a bit, try to keep them out of any rain for a while if possible. Thy will bounce back, I had a few that looked like that or worse last year and they did just fine. Just let the mix dry a bit, not entirely though and they should do ok...

Make sure you're not watering until the top one to two inches of potting mix is dry

Patience is key lol..

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 6:08PM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

Was that that moisture control M/G potting mix? That stuff is junk. If it was repot with a gritter mix. I use Black Cow and pine fines. Good luck. Some fool replaced all my tags with the wrong ones when I bought mine. Instead of cherry toms I am getting Romas and something close to Early Girls. LOL Have a great grow day, Paula
Hug a Vet.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 9:01PM
mea2214(z5 Chicago)

Welcome to the wonderful world of growing tomatoes in containers. Here is what I've learned over the years. You water them too much, they wilt. Water too little, they wilt. Potting mix drains too quickly, they dry out too fast, they wilt. Potting mix retains too much water, their feet get soggy, they wilt. Fertilize too much, they wilt. Fertilize too little, they wilt. Give them a funny look, they wilt -- and then produce tomatoes with blossom end rot.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 9:14PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Lol mea, I have grown them in containers quite successfully. Just takes a bit of perseverance and patience.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 9:06PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

WHAT EVER BECAME OF THESE PLANTS ?

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 11:10PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Good question Dickie, nr2g can we get an update? :)

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™