Pole Beans Galore--help!

onafixedincome(z8-9 CA)May 18, 2013

Okay, I have about 100 pole bean plants of various types and varieties (green, soup, lima, etc), and the basic idea of all these was to grow them up the sides of the chicken coop and rabbitries to throw dense shade through the hottest part of the summer. Actual bean harvest is a nice thought and side benefit. :)

Soo...what size containers can I get away with, and can a variant of the Hawaiian method of hydroponics work in this format? (inserted basket style containers with minimal soil into 5 gallon buckets fed with hydroponic solution is the basic thought) Summer here is INTENSELY hot and dry although I do run misters in the rabbitry area on the hottest days.

Just how much root volume does a pole bean plant have, anyway?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I tried growing pole beans once in containers. Didn't get very good results. Figured that vertical gardening would make up for lack of horizontal space. So I planted 3 plants in a 5 gal bucket and set up a tripod on top. They seemed to grow ok, nice and tall, but the yield was disappointing, and the beans didn't taste that good. Maybe I needed a bigger container. Bush beans seem to do great for us in containers, so I'm back to growing them instead. Others have had better luck than me with pole beans in containers. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™