Container Experiments

erictMay 22, 2012

Hello /contain denizens!

Does anyone have any thing interesting growing in a container/pot that usually just isn't?

I have a mamey sapote that just chills by a southern window. Obviously, I'm not expecting a crop, but I grew it from seed, so it's mine and that's what counts!

What about you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hexalm

Interesting, looks a little bit like pachira.

I did the same thing as you with avocados and mangos. I also tried sapote, but they kept getting mold on the seed casings and I gave them up for goners. A few months later I looked at the plastic bag they were in and discovered their now-dead roots that had formed after I started ignoring them completely (I kept forgetting to check the moisture level before that, thought that was another nail in their coffin, but was wrong!).

I'm resisting the urge to try and grow cherimoya the same way...they look like they grow way too fast! Ditto for jackfruit.

Oh, my most successful random seeds so far are tamarinds, but those sometimes come up as bonsai, and lots of folks grow them from seeds.

My lemons from seed also look pretty nice, but those are common in containers (though usually the actual good fruiting varieties rather than the who-knows-what-probably-inedible lemons that I'm growing!)

Right now I'm working on some guavas (and passion fruit) from seeds that my girlfriend's mother brought back from Hawai'i.

That reminds me of some of my failures..I tried growing a beach plant from Maui (Carissa macrocarpa), and despite only having one seed that germinated, I almost made it, but I think I killed it with ignorance by putting it in pure perlite and probably paying too much attention. Whoops!

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 6:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hexalm

Oops, Carissa macrocarpa is natal plum...I meant Scaevola taccada (beach naupaka).

Oh, another weird one that was inspired by a trip Hawaii--I'm trying to grow sea grape (Coccoloba uvifera).

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Browning Zinnia leaves
One of my Zinnia's leaves are starting to turn brown....
patio_garden
Soil for elephant ear plant?
I'm getting ready to plant an elephant ear plant in...
bunky_mi
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
Sponsored Products
Dogit Nylon Adjustable Collar Bones - XS - D0694
$11.99 | Hayneedle
Casdon Kids Play Shopping Trolley - 611
$25.99 | Hayneedle
Crystorama Mercer Six-Light Semi-Flush Mount Light
$750.00 | LuxeDecor
Capital Lighting Midtown Matte Nickel Two-Light Pendant Light
$325.00 | LuxeDecor
Allure Walk In Tubs Jetted Bathtubs 3.83 ft. Left-Drain Walk-In Whirlpool and
Home Depot