patio/walkway on seasonal spongy ground

bsbabeMarch 29, 2012

Need advice on how to put in some sort of hardscape and patio/walkway from house to garage on the area outside a walkout basement door. The house has an engineered above grade basement with back fill to the basement windows and retaining walls on two sides of the walkout door (about 250-300 sq ft). The door

threshold is about three inches above natural grade. The drain tile around the house and sump pumps are directed to the pond a couple hundred feet away and work very well but the ground around the walkout door gets spongy in spring and fall, however no standing water. How can we put in a walkway and hardscape area outside the walkout. Right now there is a homemade treated lumber walk which works but is unattractive and we are getting the house ready to go on the market

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Post a picture (not close-ups) that show the area and the context. To imbed picture here, first upload it to a photo-hosting site, use the "share" feature of that site to locate the html code for the picture. Copy that code and paste it into your message here.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 12:01PM
bsbabe

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=9432823013/a=105404234_105404234/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 9:19PM
EngineerChic

If you have drain tile in that area then I think putting down a good base material for a paver walkway would only help the water percolate thru to the drain tile, right? You might want to ask a local place that sells and/or installs paver walkways about this. Not a big box store, but a local place where the guy who runs it has been dealing with crushed stone and gravel for a few dozen years.

Does the area get icy in the winter? That's another thing to consider when you choose your materials, get something that can withstand salt or the pet-safe ice melting stuff.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 10:43PM
designoline6(Z6)

I don't really understand your pic and the context and situated conditions and the property line well.I try idea pics.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 11:16PM
designoline6(Z6)

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™