Going down to 41 degrees tonight -- help!

cinnamonshopsMay 23, 2013

Hi all,

I planted my tomatoes in containers outside a few days ago, a good week or more after the last frost date. Apparently still too early though, because the nighttime forecast in the next couple of days is in the low 40s. (Daytime highs will be in the high 50s, low 60s for a day or two.)

How much of a cause for alarm is this? What can I do? The smaller plants can be moved indoors, but not the tomatoes.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Some people will disagree with me, but if there is very little chance of frost, you will be fine. As long as the temp doesn't get any lower than 38, and there is a little cloudiness, and/or a little breeze, no frost will form. I'm in a similar boat as you, and I'm not too worried. Like I said, as long as skies don't clear and winds go calm, and temp goes below 40, I'm not worried. Tomato growth will slow in the next few days with the cool weather, but no other ill effects as I see it, IMO.

    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cinnamonshops

No, I don't think there will be frost. Actually, it's supposed to rain and be windy -- so is that better?

Thanks for the reply!

    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 2:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

Rainy and windy is definitely better -- you won't have to worry about frost in those conditions.

    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 3:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rina_

I am taking chance too, with my 152 tomato plants...still in pots (pootted up), waiting to be planted permanently.
Have benjamina outside too - hope they all make it.
Rain should be better, hopefully wind doesn't pick up too much.

    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 11:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharonrossy

Well mine are still being hardened off, actually spending the night outside two nights in a row when it was quite warm and humid and raining, but I caved in last night and brought them in. I'm in Montreal and although they weren't predicting frost, I just didn't want to take a chance. I had heard on the news that there were frost warnings in parts of Ontario so I guess I became a nervous Nellie.i can't wait to get them in their containers ASAP. Hopefully by Monday. It's nothing but rain, rain and more rain!
Sharon

    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cinnamonshops

Well,

As of this morning the tomato plants look ok, I think, but the seasoning pepper plant looks distinctly unimpressed. Sigh. We'll see how it goes. Still a couple of days before the weather starts to warm up again...

    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 9:46AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Questions about gritty mix
Hi folks, I am a long time gardener but new to the...
hsw (zone 6, Boston area)
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™