Basic design info for beginners on websites?

thunalataMarch 1, 2011

Hi - newbie here from the UK.

I'm struggling with designing my (small) back yard. Can anyone suggest a website (or somewhere on this website) that leads you through the design stages step by step? I have a paper plan, to scale, I know what the soil is like, where the sun is, limitations (small children, young dog) where paths need to be, lots of info! But I just can't seem to break through and imagine it all a different way from how it already is. I have no vision!

Can anyone help me find a way to get started?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inkognito

This is an interesting question that has an easy answer but one many shy away from even more now what with so much available online. A few years back your man Lynford Christie found himself in a similar position although he had more acreage than you no doubt but no matter. What he did (this was told in detail in Gardens Illustrated) was to have a professional designer come out for a consultation. The imagined cost of this freaks people out and Lynford said that he didn't do much of what was suggested anyway but it kick started his imagination and that was worth the hundred quid.

You don't say where you are but I'll bet that you have a garden centre nearby with someone who will come out for free and give you lots of ideas in the hope that you will buy from them and this might work just as well for you.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 5:12PM
lazy_gardens

Try these links:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/56289/create_your_own_landscape_design.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/51060/frugal_landscapingdont_waste_money.html

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 5:28PM
thunalata

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I need to get started. I have had lots of people give me ideas, but have still found myself all at sea. Wise words about paying a garden designer. I will look into this. Also about paying someone to do the bits I won't do well...

Above all, that first associated content article provides exactly the help I need to get going with my own ideas.

So grateful to you both. Thank you again.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 7:54AM
More Discussions
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™