Dwarf blueberries

mamasas(MD 7)May 3, 2012

Hi, I have not been on here for a couple years but am starting my very modest container garden again. My son is 5 now and needs to learn to grow something!

Anyway, I have an ittybitty 6 inch sunshine blue blueberry and a top hat that I want to put in containers. I plan to use the gritty mix. I have Miracid and gypsum and vinegar. I think I need epsom salt too, right?

So, how big of a pot do I start with? The sunshine blue has little berries on it, do I snip them off? Is it okay to repot them now? Any other suggestions?

I appreciate all information and I love reading this forum. Glad I am playing with dirt again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Hello mamasas,
They can go into about a gallon size container now and move to bigger ones in a couple years.Yes to both questions about replanting now,keep the soil moist,not too wet though and remove the fruit.
Since one is a Southern Highbush and the other is Northern,they will fruit in coming years,but will produce better if they each had a different variety to be with them. Brady

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 11:18AM
mamasas(MD 7)

Thanks so much! I have read on here to add some gypsum to the gritty mix. How much per gallon?

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 12:27PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

One tablespoon.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™