Companion plants with Blue Spruce

RiverRaisinmanMarch 24, 2013

Hello,

I would like to add some color with my Blue Spruce that border the road in front of my property. Does anyone have some recommendations for shrubs to plant alongside my Blue Spruce? I am located in zone 5b and on a dirt road (dusty in summer). Here are some photos:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

How tall & wide are you thinking?

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 9:04PM
almondstriations

For low maintenance, you could look into planting a row of ninebark shrubs. With a variety of foliage colors and mature sizes, you're likely to find something that would fit your taste, and I think their fall color would be beautiful against the blue spruce.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:25AM
duluthinbloomz4

Ninebarks are a good shrub - love them left untrimmed so the branches arc. Mine just started showing the shaggy peeling bark last season, which is an added benefit to the shrub. I'm fonder of the chartreuse of the Dart's Gold than I am of most of the wine colored varieties.

I also like the red twig dogwood, but not sure I'd like to see a whole long row of them in your application. Depending on the amount of space you intend to use, I'd mix it up.

If not considered an invasive in MI, the barberries will give you color - an infill with Crimson Pygmy variety (very inexpensive at Walmart and the big boxes) would give you a good red to coppery green until buried by snow. You couldn't go too wrong with many things with the spruce backdrop.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™