Best way to extend the life of flower pots?

honestbill(6a)May 6, 2011

I've been told that sealing at least the inside of your flower pots (terra cotta, etc.) will extend the life of them by protecting them from the freeze/thaw damage of winter ... some people say they use Thompson's water sealant, some say oil-based polyurethane, some say water-based polyurethane, some say a 10:1 solution of PVA (poly vinyl acetate).

What is the best way to get more life out of my pots? I'm replacing them far too often. I have to store the unused pots outside, but I also have some plants that I keep in pots outside over winter.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

If you turn the pots upside-down, they can't fill with ice. Maybe cover them with a tarp, too. I can't imagine any sealant could be stronger than ice. I think a sealant is to protect the clay from absorbing so much water that ice crystals crack it from within the clay. It also helps during the growing season to prevent the water in the soil from evaporating through the porous clay walls so quickly. Are you able to use plastic pots for the plants while overwintering?

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 11:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I agree that it's the water in the clay itself that does the greatest damage. You can store clay pots outdoors if you keep them dry. I have lots of very large terra cotta pots that I tip upside down when they're dry & overwinter on my growing benches under the cover of garbage bags wrapped tightly around them. For the pots with plants. I think I would be thinking about storing them where they can't freeze, or just slipping the plants out of them and into nursery cans or plastic pots for the winter so you can store the clay where it will remain dry.

Al

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Sponsored Products
Gia Suspension 2400 Lumens 3000K 90CRI
Lightology
Serena & Lily Feather Rug
Serena & Lily
RGB PixelControl LED Strip Light, 144/m, by the 1.2-meter reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Rome Towel Ring
Signature Hardware
Steelcase | Leap Leather Office Chair
YLiving.com
54" Casablanca Bullet Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Brass Lamps: Cassiopeia 50.5 in. Antique Brass Incandescent Table Lamp CLI-WDK28
Home Depot
Galtech Commercial Grade 7.5-ft. Aluminum Market Umbrella - 722SR-44
$349.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™