Landscaping a new patio space

woodswalker88(6)March 31, 2012

I just finished building a patio and now I have to figure out how to landscape the bare earth around it.

I already have a few seedlings from last year: a maple & oak tree & a redbud seedling. These are too small to really fill the place out. Maybe in 10 years!!

Meanwhile I am trying to figure out what kind of shrubs or groundcovers I can plant, which will do OK now when it is mostly sunny, but won't die off when those trees grow up & the area becomes shady.

if I plant Azaleas or Rhododendron, will it be too sunny for them now? The yard does receive 'partial' shade from other trees that are farther away in the yard. Still they will get a lot of sun in the summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

To get some feedback, you need to let people see the area. To post a picture(s) here, upload it to a photo-hosting service (there are many) then, while there, explore the "share" link to look for html code for the picture. Copy the code and paste it in the next message you compose. The picture should not be too close up and don't accidentally get the code for thumbnail size pictures.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 10:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karinl(BC Z8)

I think this is a good opportunity to define the word "landscaping." The patio you just finished building is "landscaping." You scaped the land; you created pathways and places to be for people, water, and plants.

What you're doing now is plant selection for the land you've already scaped.

And a better description of the space will be helpful; but it will probably also work well to go to nurseries and see what plants you can actually get.

Karin L

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™