Size of container for peppers?

clemsontygerMay 3, 2014

I've seen various recommendations on various sites regarding the proper size of container needed for growing peppers. Just wondering if anyone has successfully grown poblanos, bananas, and bell (green/red/orange) peppers in container pots, and if so, how large was the pot? Would 3 gallons be sufficient?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Peppers work well in containers. I've grown all three of the ones you mentioned in containers. There have been many discussions about this subject in the hot pepper forum. Although some might tell you that 3 gallons would be adequate for a pepper, most would probably agree with me that you need at least a 5-gallon container for a pepper. A 5-gallon nursery container actually only holds 3.5 gallons of potting mix. Many people grow peppers in those 5-gallon paint buckets sold in hardware stores, which really do hold 5 gallons. The peppers you want to grow will get pretty large. I've grown poblanos that got almost four feet tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Pepper Forum

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 10:18AM
clemsontyger

Thanks OH, I'm about to head out shortly to pick up a few. I will probably go with the 5's just to be on the safe side. Assuming you staked your poblanos, but how about the bells? Did those require staking as well? Also, for the 5 gallon size, did you fill the whole thing with potting mixture or did you use some kind of filler at the bottom and then start from there with the soil?

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 10:48AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I staked all of them. Peppers are brittle and can be easily broken by the wind, especially when top heavy with fruit. Fill any container you use with uniform potting mix from the bottom to the top. Any filler in the bottom will interfere with drainage and waste space needed by the roots.

Don't use any soil in a container, only use soilless mix. If you haven't read the Container Soils -- Water Movement and Retention thread in this forum, I recommend doing that before you choose your potting mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 11:32AM
clemsontyger

Well I got a few 12" (5 gallon) containers at Lowe's but I am thinking the 5 gallon bucket will be the way to go. Now...here's a silly question. Does the color of the bucket make any difference at all as far as heating/drying out? FOr some reason the black 5 gallons around here are not that cheap, but appears white (or blue from Lowe's) is.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 2:42PM
johns.coastal.patio(USDA 10b, Sunset 24)

I think the Lowes blue bucket is OK in heat, and very popular.

You'll get lots of opinions on drilling them :-).

I'll start: 5 holes around the sides, close to the bottom, 3/4 or even 1 inch in size. One more hole that size in the center of the bottom.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 2:51PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

There is a minor difference in temperature, yes.

Josh

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 2:54PM
clemsontyger

I went with the white food-safe (BPA free) 5 gallon buckets at Lowes. Wish me luck.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Unusual Containers
I've been growing Sedum in a wheel off of a tire (that...
tomatoman100
glowing pots
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I...
mystmaiden
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Sponsored Products
Collins Leather Chair - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
"Gift-Wrapped" Malted Milk Chocolate Cake - N/A
$175.00 | Horchow
Quantum SPECTRA Linear Suspension by Schonbek Lighting
$2,497.00 | Lumens
Jardins du Seda France Chinese Peony Two-Wick Candle
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Georgia 42-inch Bathroom Vanity with Granite Top and Ceramic Undermount Basin
Overstock.com