Hellebores

farmer-boy(8)April 28, 2012

I recently received some fresh seeds of hellebores. Was wondering if it really takes year(s) for them to germinate. Also any additional information would be nice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

When I first received hellebore seeds, they were packaged in a moist bit of paper towel & I was told to plant them immediately. I got great germination the next spring, they bloomed the 3rd year. My problem was I planted the seeds close together-I was afraid I would pull them out as weeds. I had to separate them to give them space & I lost several seedlings in the move. Still, many survived & produced all colors of seedlings-solid white, some with freckles, some pink with various looks. Reminds me that I have several seedlings I need to move now.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 10:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claysoil(z6 PA)

Lots of info at the hellebore forum on seed germination! the seeds need a few weeks of warm/most treatment followed by a few weeks of cold/moist. I have some x.hybridus seeds germinating in the fridge right now. I've never done this to species seed. I have found that when left outside....x. hybridus seed will go through the winter and sprout in the spring. Species take 2 summer-winter cycles outside to germinate for me. Then, it takes most seedlings 3 years to reach blooming size.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
have: voodoo lilies (Amorphophallus and Typhonium)
I've got the following available for trade: Typhonium/Sauromatum...
weirdflowers
HAVE: VooDoo Lily ~ S. Venosum Corms
Please reply here or email me at gaffenstein@gmail.com The...
dethcheez
Have: sarracenia rhizomez
I have sarracenia and venus flytraps for trade. Looking...
ericmd01
HAVE: Raspberry & Blackberry bareroot to a good home
I need to clear an area that is covered with healthy...
tomato345
WANTED: asteriscus sericeus - Canary Island Daisy
I fell in love with this plant after seeing it at the...
robinpla
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™