help my front yard needs some tlc..where to begin?

frankm88March 10, 2014

I purchased my house last year and have renovated almost the entire interior. This year my goal is the exterior. I have a few siding contractors coming this week for estimates. After the siding is done id like to dig into my front yard and try and come up with a landscape design. My issue is i do not know where to begin. I know very little about gardening but have no problem getting my hands dirty. Any ideas/thoughts on where to begin? The photo i uploaded is old from Google Earth. Since that photo the green fence and pillars have been removed and i added white vinyl fence partitioning off the back yard at the garage.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frankm88

I also have this photo of what the garden looked like last year after i cleaned it up a little.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 11:34AM
designoline6(Z6)

First,you need some design,it is important.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 4:08PM
designoline6(Z6)

You should increase curb appeal of the house,this is your goal.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 4:35PM
yardvaark

frankm88, The Google picture is not good enough for us to see the layout clearly. It would be good to take a pic from the same viewpoint and another one closer to the house, but still shows it all and a little space at the sides. Also, it would be good to have photos taken from the front corners of the yard that show the view from different angles.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 6:22PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

On the right side, looks like a nice hedge. But blocking the house is some kind of low tree? That's a bad spot for that.

Your big trees are beautiful and will provide shade in summer. Just give them a haircut.

I would aerate and reseed that lawn to make it all nice and green. But, it's a very nice lawn!

I love your planter!

The left side is too overgrown and needs some trimming. We had something at that at this house we bought. It took days to rip it all out, and we still encounter roots, but we get the thumbs up from happy neighbors all the time!

Suzi

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 7:03PM
emmarene

I would like to see the front door.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™