Old Landscape timbers - removal ideas

flowerpilot(5a)March 31, 2013

Been a while since I've posted; looking for some ideas on an upcoming dilemma...

We created some raised garden beds in our back yard circa 1998-1999, shortly after moving in; our first house, and I was adamant about having some dirt to play in after all of those years in apartments :) We used landscape timbers and rebar to create the beds, being some what cash-poor shortly after moving in, and not having the money (or garden savvy) to get cedar. Two beds are 4' x 16', one is 4' x 12', between 2-3 rows of timbers high. After the last couple of winters, the timbers have quite a bit of rotting from the inside of the bed, and I have ordered raised bed kits to replace the two larger beds, hopefully to be here within a week or so.

My dilemma is: what do i do with the outgoing landscape timbers? I don't have any room to recycle them in the garden, and based on the time we purchased them, and a label on one of the replacements (says 'Landscape Timbers SYP CCA-NON-AWPA-STD'), I believe these were made/sold at a time when arsenic was still used as part of the preserving process.

Our local household waste disposal location doesn't have landscape timbers/wood products on the list of materials it accepts; and given the arsenic, I am presuming that chopping them up for firewood is not an option. Has anyone else faced this problem? Is it OK to simply set them out with the standard trash pickup?

Looking for thoughts on how to handle - I'd like to recycle if possible, but the chemicals may not permit that.

(As long as the older ones are going away, guess I need to get rid of the unused replacement timbers in the garage - anybody in the market for some 8' older CCA-treated landscape timbers (guessing about 6)?)

Thanks for any advice, Flowerpilot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

CCA-treated lumber is considered a hazardous waste. You cannot burn it and it should be recycled through appropriate channels. Your local landfill or solid waste disposal service would be the party to contact or any party that deals with recyclables for your municipality. Here, this type of lumber is only accepted by the household hazardous waste authority.

    Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 3:39PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™