How long for heirloom seeds to start sprouting?

ATLalexaMay 3, 2014

Hi!
I just started my patio garden one week ago, and I have five different seeds that I've created "greenhouses" for to get them started. Currently, only one of them (the siberian kale) has began sprouting. The seeds are older so I'm not sure if some of them are bad. How long does it take before they sprout for me to know if they are duds or not?
I have:
Cilantro
heirloom mammoth sunflowers
arugula
heirloom romaine

You can read my blog post here to see if any of that information is helpful as well.
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

The fact that your seeds are heirlooms has nothing to do with how long it takes for them to sprout. The fact that they are "old" does affect how long it takes and even whether they sprout at all. Even fresh seeds don't always sprout. Older seeds usually take a little longer. So people usually plant more seeds than they want since germination rates can be low. Each kind of seed takes a different amount of time and requires different conditions. Fresh romaine and arugula can sprout in 3 to 7 days in cool conditions. Older sunflower seeds may take up to two weeks and require warmer conditions.

How old are your seeds and how have they been stored? Some seeds can stay viable for more than 10 years. But if they dry out, they usually die.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™