Baby 'Blue Moon' Wisteria Developing Copper Color on Leaf

JenWiseMay 8, 2014

Hi, I'm a container gardener (East-facing balcony) in NYC, and I purchased a 'Blue Moon' Wisteria from Jackson & Perkins, which arrived as a young plant (I know there's a better word for this, maybe you can enlighten me) in a quart container. It doesn't seem to be growing as quickly as the clematis, 'silver bells' akebia and honeysuckle that I also bought from them since replanting in larger pots on my balcony two weeks ago, and I just this morning noticed some copper coloring overtaking one of the leaves. The leaf seems supple and healthy still, so I'd like to know if this is a natural occurrence or if it means I'm doing something wrong. The pot is a standard plastic one from Home Depot, but I make sure to take all the bottom saucers off since they cause them to become waterlogged...plus I know this plant needs to drain well. Should I add an aerating material to the soil? Does it need nourishment (the soil I added around it is Miracle Gro potting soil that's been used before in other plants)? It gets 6 hours of sun daily now and that increases as spring and summer progress. I'd also like to know how long I should expect to wait for flowers...are we talking months or more like years? It's only about a foot tall right now. Thank you in advance for your advice!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

New growth on my Wisteria is often a coppery or bronzy sort of color. Post a pic for better advice :-)

Josh

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 10:22AM
JenWise

Good idea! Thank you! Here's a close-up of the leaf in question.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 6:51PM
JenWise

Here's a pic of the entire plant, in case that helps.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 6:52PM
JenWise

Yet another close-up (can you tell I'm worried?)...

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 6:57PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Well, that's not the new growth color I was expecting, I'm sorry to say. That growth is fairly well hardened off. I'm not sure what the cause is, but I would remove that leaf and throw it away in the trash. Are any other leaves affected?

Josh

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™