Questions about growing onions and garlic

neptune24March 26, 2012

For the first time, this year I planted some onions and garlic. They seem to be coming up quite nicely. I have a few questions, though:

1) Some of the onion sets I planted specifically for scallions, so I planted them deeper and closer together. Can I harvest the resulting scallions continually throughout the season? And should I cut them back to the ground each time?

2) Can I also harvest the scallions from the onions that I want to become "dry" onions, or should I just leave them alone?

3) Can I harvest the green parts from the garlic too? If so, can they be used just like scallions?

Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnbrown

#3 is yes, green garlic is very nice. That's how I mostly use it.

#2 is no, if you want large as possible bulbs.

#1 you can cut-and-come-again with onion greens, but more typical is to plant close and thin out for scallions during the season to end up with 6 to 8 inch spacing which get left for the full-size bulbs.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 7:20AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

I agree with pnbrown, although I think that the answer for 2 applies to 3 as well. If you want large garlic bulbs, don't eat the green off the garlic. I plant the small cloves in a seperate area in the fall and pull them in the spring as I want for green garlic. But if you haven't tried it before, pull up a couple now and give it a taste.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:50AM
spogarden

And if you have hard neck garlic, you will get garlic skapes. That is where the stalk is curved with the start of a seed pod on the end. Pick them while they are still curved and your garlic will grow larger. They are quite tasty.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 1:10PM
neptune24

Thanks for your helpful replies, pnbrown, sunnibel7, and spogarden.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™