Kinda Blank-slate back yard

smarge117March 22, 2014

We moved into this home two years ago and I've been working on the front gardens/trees and not it's time to move to the backyard--and I am out of ideas. We have an above ground pool smack-dab in the middle of it. A long fence down one side. A back border of Leland cypress bushes, and a side border of tall pines.

I came from northern VA with lots of trees and azaleas, I'm just not sure what to do with this canvas. I would like to add trees to the back line as the Lelands die, but I would also like to add a tree to the left of the pool to help shade the house from the all day summer sun it gets. (zone 7, middle Tennessee)

I was thinking of a garden down the long fence, but other than that I'm drawing a blank on how to incorporate some hardscape/tree/garden to that left side of the pool. The right side of the pool, we may do some raised vegetable garden beds.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smarge117

sorry couldn't figure out how to add more than one phoeo

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 12:03PM
smarge117

again with the can't post more than one photo at a time.

sorry about this

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 12:05PM
littlebug5(z5 MO)

I have read that having a deciduous tree near a pool is a pain in the @ss in the autumn when the leaves fall.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 6:59PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

That is a big blank slate!

The deck is really nice! Some of the designers here will come up with some cool plans for you.

A big shade tree to shade the house is important. Whatever shade tree you pick, do your research. Be sure it doesn't drop flowers and pods all year in addition to the autumn leaves.

One of the previous owners of our home, in his wisdom, planted 3 pines and 2 palms near our pool. They are evergreen, but they still have little gifts to drop into our pool constantly! Currently all the pollen from the cones is going in the pool. Needles shed constantly. Then the palms start dropping seeds and pollen and random fronds.

I don't think you can escape a mess in your pool. It's the nature of trees to reproduce, but some are much kinder to you than others.

I think raised beds would be nice and also some walking paths to small areas of interest here and there would break up the expanse. Maybe some curves and circles?

Have fun!

Suzi

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Drainage issues!
Hoping the drainage experts can contribute. We have...
mrsgoss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™