First time Gardener - Did I do it right?
I spent all day yesterday reading this forum and specifically Al's 5-1-1 in regards to 5 gallon buckets. Yesterday I spent all evening gathering supplies. I found some great Pine Bark Fines at Ohio Mulch that were the perfect, dime sized pieces. Sphagnum Peat, Pelletized Lime, Miracle Grow 12-4-8, and MG Perlite. I used the following proportions:
4 Cu. Ft PBF
8 Gallons Perlite
10 Gallons Sphagnum Peat
2 Cups conc. Miracle Grow
2-3 Cups Lime
Soaked it, mixed it all up, and then loosely filled 11 5-gal buckets. I saturated the buckets with water; Today I'm going to drill the drainage holes and probably make a mess.
Here are my questions:
1) I added 2 Cups of the Miracle Grow. Then I read it is supposed to be diluted in water by using a hose attachment. Did I just over-fertilize my soil, or will it be alright?
2) Was there any point to saturate the soil overnight in water? I read that I should do that.
3) The lime was pelletized, about the size of pinheads to BBs. It also came in a 40 Lb. bag and is supposed to be use on the lawn. I saw it had Mg and Ca in it. Is this the right stuff? I couldn't find something smaller than that large bag, but it was only $3.97.
4) Do I need to wait a number of days before planting starts?
5) Did I leave anything out of this recipe? I read I should look into micronutrients at some point.
6) I live in Ohio and grow in a 5B area. I was planning on Heirloom Tomatoes, Sweet Peppers, Jalepenos, Habeneros, Onions, Basil, Parsley, Cilantro, Oregano. What else would work well in the 5Gal in my area? Can I put all the herbs in 1-2 buckets?
7) Should I put the drainage holes on the side near the bottom or on the actual bottom?
Thanks for the help everybody!