Bald Cypress sapling help

NoGreenThumb_Indy(4/5)May 30, 2013

I'm not even sure it's big enough to be called a sapling but my daughter got a Bald Cypress tree from school for Earth Day. We don't have a spot yet where to plant it so I "healed it in" like the instructions said in the ground. It's got leaves now and doing really well. I'd like to move it to a container for now and maybe plant it in the yard next year. I'd like some advice as to best plant and take care of a tree in a container. What types of soil to use, moisture requirements for Bald Cypress, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Read the thread I linked you to below. Then, if you have specific questions, just ask. They'll do best in a soil that drains well, but generally tolerate soils more water-retentive than most other trees will tolerate. Making sure you aren't planting the tree along with negative root issues almost sure to develop in a container can be an important part of long-term health.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me and I'll show you lots of info on trees in containers!

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™