how to place a lamp post?

bungalow_babeMarch 29, 2007

Hi,

I just discovered your site, and I'm hoping someone out there can advise me. I purchased a tall (nearly 8') 3 light lamp post on clearance last year and now need to figure exactly where I should put it. How does one know how much light will be cast by a lamp post of this height? Is there some kind of rule of thumb?

I want it to cast light on the walkway & stairs but the problem is this: The stairs go down either side of a small 6' wide porch. On the right side as you face the house there is a motion detector light that goes on when you hit the bottom step (if you are lucky). The left side has a small mission style lamp (that doesn't cast light very far) next to the left of the doorway.

I need the light on the left and I want some of the light on the right (as you face the house)... I think it needs to go somewhere in the middle, but I'd hate to have to dig up my hollies to put it there unless I really have to.

The other complicating factor is although the stairs have little balusters that let light in, the porch itself has a solid wall.

If the light will reach the steps, I'm thinking that I would like to place the post about 8' diagonally off the left of the porch making it almost even with the bottom step albeit about 6 feet west of the steps. I wonder how far the light will carry to the right from there and will it help as one descends the stairs?

I haven't built the walkway yet so I can be somewhat flexible in that regard. I chose to let the dogs select the best path as they will go there anyway whether I plan for it or not!

Who knew this would become such a stumbling block for me when I scoffed up the bargain light?! Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards, the baffled Bungalow-Babe!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inkognito

Too specific BB, spend the money you saved and call out an electrician or trial and error. Usually it is more efficient to work from the problem towards the solution. How much do you lose if you dump your bargain at the side of the road?

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 5:55PM
madtripper(5/6 Guelph)

I have a similar light along the driveway. It is about 6 ft from the edge of the driveway due to a gas line - would have liked it a bit closer. At this point it does a fair job of lighting up the complete single car driveway.

I suggest you go out at night and find someone with a similar light and see how much light it gives off. Most larger estate homes have such a light at the end of the driveway.

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 11:10PM
bungalow_babe

Thanks Madtripper, that is encouraging... If yours lights up a whole driveway, mine should cover an 15 foot spread. I will go on patrol looking for a similar light.
Happy Spring!

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™