Fertilizer Question

bigpinksMay 9, 2011

I did an extensive web search before I posted this so as not to be a big pain. I would like to know what are the trace elements or micronutrients needed for tomatoes or peppers not occuring in regular granular fertilizer or Miracle Grow? I realize that many posters are growing trees, ornamentals etc and that I might be worrying over inconsequentials, but in for a nickel in for a dime. I looked up the address for the Dyna Grow Fert and the S.T.E.M. product from Oregon but dont want to wait a week or more if I can get something here. I have MG, Osmocote and Espoma Plant Tone as well as Fish Fert. Any help would be appreciated....trying hard to learn here in the Buckeye state.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fortyonenorth(6b)

Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur and Sodium are needed in relatively significant amounts. Boron, Manganese, Copper and Zinc in trace amounts. The Dyna-Gro products offer the big three (N-P-K) plus all these micros - better, they are already properly balanced.

Worm's Way carries some of the Dyna-Gro products - not sure if they list Foliage Pro. They are headquartered in Indianapolis and I'm sure shipping time and charges would be favorable.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 3:40PM
bigpinks

Many thanks

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 5:11PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Just for the sake of accuracy, Ca, Mg and S are secondary macro-nutrients and it's generally considered that Na (sodium) is unnecessary for normal growth, even though it does affect the water relations of a few plants positively, and it can sometimes act as a conservator or partial replacement of K, but never as a complete replacement.

MG 24-8-16 supplies everything likely to be deficient in bark-based soils except Ca, MG (you get these from the lime in your soil) and S.

AL

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 6:08PM
bigpinks

Thanks so much Al....that really helps a lot. Maybe this isnt rocket science after all!

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 7:06PM
bigpinks

I am using collected rain water(it was easy to get if you dig) and when I water it runs out the bottom lke it should. After a month of this should I add a pinch or two more lime to avoid BER?

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 7:24PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If your soil was limed, it's probably unnecessary to add additional lime at any point, though if you happened to be pressing the same soil into service for the third year, you might need to include a little Epsom salts in your fertilizer solution because the Mg fraction of the lime is about 125X more soluble than the Ca fraction.

Al

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
What to do with used potting soil?
Hi folks, For those of you who have a lot of containers...
andy_e
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.
Hey all! I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right...
emilygreenie
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Sponsored Products
Cherner Side Chair
Design Within Reach
Metallic Glass Primrose Garden Light
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Neutron Frost Green Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$352.80 | Bellacor
Americh Barrington 6036 Tub (60" x 36" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Nameeks | Teorema Vessel Sink 8031/80
$595.00 | YBath
Question Mark Stool
| Italy Design
Royal Pedic Premier Natural Organic Cloud Pillowtop Set
LuxeDecor
Vetraio Chandelier by Uttermost
$327.80 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™