Carrots

Pegleg48(6a Toronto)May 28, 2012

Hi All

So, I established my garden (more or less) this weekend, and started some carrots in the vacant space of a few containers. The seed packet recommended putting something over the soil to keep it moist while the seeds germinate.

Is this the best way to do it? If so, what should I use?

(right now have an old canvas shopping bag cut up into strips, but it's black, which probably will dry out the soil instead)

Thanks

Peg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pinks(9A Houston)

For germinating seeds, I usually put a thin layer of clingwrap over the top of the pot and secure it to the pot. This traps the moisture.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 2:40PM
Pegleg48(6a Toronto)

Yeah, I usually do that too, but these are in big planters outside (same pots as my tomatoes and cucumbers), but maybe I can do the same somehow.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 4:35PM
mbrasseau(7)

My carrots are planted in a plastic storage bin. When I first sowed them, I wrapped plastic sheeting around the entire bin, longwise, tucking the edges under the bin. This left a little space on the long edges for air and some rainwater to get in. Oddly enough the initial germinations were closer to the spaces rather than the protected middle.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 12:00AM
valentinetbear(z6 PA)

I've been growing carrots in containers for the last 6 years. Never used plastic on top or worried about anything but keeping the soil damp (which has been very easy this year, since it's rained so often. lol)

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 12:37AM
Pegleg48(6a Toronto)

My carrots sprouted! Yay!
I actually took the covering off after a few days, because we've actually gotten a decent amount of rain and probably it's better if they can breathe.
Now to wait and see if they turn into real carrots. I might start a few on their own in a tall container and see how that goes as well.
Does anyone know if they'll grow ok inside? (in a very very sunny spot?)
Peg

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™