Anyone else enjoying the spring flush of Winterbor kale?

laceyvail(6A, WV)March 28, 2012

I grow Winterbor as much for the spring flush, coming in now, as for the fall/winter growth. Winterbor overwinters and in early spring sends out growth from the nodes where the old leaves met the stem and from the very top. The little buds look like small broccoli. You can eat the entire thing, leaves, stems and buds. And it tastes like sweet, young broccoli, not even like kale. It's a fabulous source of spring greens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnbrown

Well, as usual I have been enjoying the early flush on the over-wintered russian, except it's even earlier than usual. The warm dry late winter has encouraged aphids here.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:12AM
planatus(6)

The deer ate my kale, but they missed the collards, which are bearing delicious leaves with flower buds soon to follow.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:33AM
jayco(5b NY)

Yes! We planted Starbor last summer, it's overwintered, and we've been enjoying the baby kale. You're right, it definitely tastes sweeter than "regular" kale, and it's wonderful to have such an early crop.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 9:06AM
denninmi(8a)

Ack! I pulled all of mine last Thanksgiving weekend and fed it to my poultry. I said to myself, well, it's been an unusually warm and wet summer and fall, we'll probably have an exceptionally cold winter and it's just going to die anyway.

Joke's on me!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 9:47AM
drippy(7bAL)

I have Siberian & Italian - the Italian is bolting now; and some of the Siberian is starting to as well, but I'm still getting a lot of good kale from last fall's planting.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 9:47AM
glib(5.5)

That's the sustenance from the garden right now, and the beauty of kale, which otherwise gets beaten by collard in every respect. I have three beds, and one has been picked a second and third time. There is also a lot of sorrel, chicory and radicchio pushing up to go to seed, and garlic shoots. There is abundant wild dandelion. I have got to finish those winter roots so I can completely concentrate on the greenery.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™