Strawberry plant spacing

rayinpenn(6)March 5, 2010

The wife likes strawberries so I just ordered 25 strawberry plants and would like some advise. I'd like to plat them in a raised bed say 3 1/2 feet wide - any thoughts on how big the bed should be? and can I sqeeze in 2 rows??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
obrionusa(5)

Plant them like they do groundcover. Triangular spacing 18" O.C. I would stay away from the edges 12-15".

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 9:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homertherat

If you want to do rows, I believe the recommended spacing between rows is somewhere around 3 feet. I'm pretty sure that's the commercial recommendation, and you could get away with less space.

Did you order everbearing or june-bearing plants? If they're june-bearing, you can mow the plants after they've produced, and a matted row system would be easiest to mow over. Basically, you space the plants 18 inches apart and let the runners spread out to about 12 inches on both sides, cultivating any others into the soil. You would only be able to fit one row in your bed, but it would probably be easiest to maintain that way.

Everbearing strawberries don't need to be mowed as they produce all throughout the season instead of one big crop like june-bearers. You can just put them in rows and let them do their thing. I think one row would be best with such a small number of plants, but if you want 2, you could stagger them so there's one every 6 inches, so it looks something like this:

O

...O

O

...O

O
and so on. Unless you dig the runners up as they grow, it will just fill itself in and mess up your spacing anyway.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
cutworms and diatomaceous earth
I had regular problems with cutworms and seedlings....
daninthedirt
I really messed up, who can help? Tomato expert needed...
I planted beefsteak and July 4th tomatoes and didn't...
dwyerkg
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
What is wrong with my cauliflower head?
One of my cauliflowers with the same soil, fertilizer,...
djkj
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Sponsored Products
Romano 5-foot Indoor/ Outdoor Ficus Tree
Overstock.com
Ceramic Pod Planter
$17.99 | Dot & Bo
Echeveria Art Print
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Jefferson Adjustable Arbor - White Finish
Fifthroom.com
Miu Stainless Steel Butter Warmers (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
International Caravan Mandalay Square Iron Plant Stand
Overstock.com
Green Cow Ice Cream Dish
$5.99 | zulily
Yellow Cow Ice Cream Dish
$5.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™