What bug is this? (Red and Black Bug)

KendraSchmidtMarch 27, 2012

I keep finding these bugs in my garden. Usually they're attached to each other and walking around while attached to each other. (Mating?) Sometimes, they're in groups like in this pic, but other times, they walk around alone. any idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Oh, I finally found it! It's called a "Red Firebug" or "pyrrhocoris apterus". I wonder what these things do in a garden or to a child, if anything.

    Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 9:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here is some info for you! A new bug in the US. They don't really know what it likes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension Service Red Firebug

    Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 9:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you, much appreciated!

    Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 11:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Just out of curiosity, Kendra, what state do you live in? Your general location would be of interest to those of us who don't really want to see this insect in our own backyards, lol.

    Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 4:16PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
Plastic hardware cloth
How easily can critters chew through it?
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™