How to install brick edging on a berm?

franksmom_2010March 17, 2013

Hello!

We have a landscaped berm on the side of our driveway. When we converted from grass, we installed fiberglass strip edging, which hasn't held up well, and we plan to replace it with brick.

Here is the area:

Here is the edging that we plan to use:

DH (an engineer) plans to dig out a small trench along the edge (at least along the driveway edge and the up-slopes on each end) a few inches below the level of the driveway, and pour mortar, then set the bricks in the mortar. Then fill the soil level back in, and we'll refresh the mulch when finished.

My question, is the mortar really neccessary? Is there a better way to do this? His argument is that the force of the soil/water/plants/mulch/etc. is pushing the mound toward the driveway, and even though the brick is much heavier and less flexible than the fiberglass, that if we don't secure it with mortar, then in a few years, it will all be falling over. Will mortaring the brick together cause a drainage issue? We have black clay soil and live in zone 8, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

If it were me, I'd adjust the grade of the landscape bed (within 3' of its edge) so that it was flush with the surrounding grade. It should not have been raised up above the surrounding grade. The edging you've chosen will not look like a professional solution. It is definitely in the homeowner-installed category. Mortar would not be necessary. Presumably, you'd be sinking it 50% of its height. It would be fine to set it on a 3-4" layer of tamped paver base (or any crushed material that packs tight and doesn't have pieces over 1/2" dia., as then it would be more difficult to work with.) Mortar is not necessary and would probably backfire when any changes were desired. It would probably not hold better than sinking the edging sufficiently.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:31PM
franksmom_2010

Thanks!

Well, we actually chose a different edging today. We were going to buy the original ones, and found a different style that looks more like a natural stone, but can be layed on edge. We both liked it better, and it's a better match to the house brick.

When we converted from grass to landscaping, the grade WAS even with the driveway. We've just lived in this house a few years, and we were told by the neighbors that the berm was added several years before that.

It appears that the mound of soil is creeping it's way towards the driveway. We certainly could regrade that leading edge, but I'm not sure how long that solution will last.

Is gravel neccessary, or can we just set them in the soil?

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:54PM
yardvaark

If you set them directly in soil, expect their level to shift over time. It will not look good.

If you think that the edging is a solution to the berm creeping toward the drive, you'll find that it's not. It's just a delay. Since it's a bed, you could periodically adjust the soil level at the 3' swath near the edge and not need any "edging."

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™