flying bugs

cghpndMay 2, 2013

Hi! I have been trying to find the answer for a few days with regular internet searching. No luck. So I have a poppy plant, it says papaver under poppy on the tag. And salvia. They both have little flying bugs on them. It seems as if theyare only on the top layer of soil and they scatter when I water them. I have about 30 plants out side all in containers as well but they are never on them. I dont understand. I asked someone at a nursery and they said because they are in containers, but thats kinda wrong bc they other plants which have been in containers longer dont have them. Any idea on what it is? They didn't have the bugs when I bought them.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoppaRich(7b)

fungus gnats maybe?

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 2:39PM
dragonfly717(z10 Fort Myers)

White flies? They tend to scattered about when the plant is disturbed. Big problem where I live. Neem oil was recommended to control them.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 2:54PM
shazaam(NC 7B)

In my experience, white flies would be on the foliage rather than soil. Fungus gnats seem more likely given the OP's description. They're generally a nuisance but not a problem for the plants. You can make life a bit harder for them by letting the top layer of soil dry between waterings. Are you caring for these pots any differently than the others you mentioned? More water? Different fertilizer? Different potting media? More shade?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungus Gnats as Houseplant and Indoor Pests

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 3:19PM
vp_78

Are there a ton of them, and are they white and itty itty bitty? If so they could be springtails...

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Raybo's 3-2-1 from scratch?
Hey guys this year will be my first time making and...
wakullagirl23
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™