Full sun and little or no soil

ginaroseMarch 25, 2010

I need help figuring out how to cover a small section of our yard exposed recently when we rebuilt our deck. We live in GA so the exposed section is mostly hard red clay, and because it was covered by the old deck, a small portion of it is cement under the red clay. Removing the cement is not an option. This is also a part of the yard that will have high foot traffic straight into our back door. It's about a 5x8ft space. Full sun.

I'd like to put something like moss down, but after researching it sounds like the full sun makes that impossible. River stones were also an option, but may be too expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what we could do to cut down on the mud being tracked in through the back door?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjsee(Zone 7b, NC)

How big an area? I'd be tempted to enlarge the deck...

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 6:18PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Crushed granite?

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 2:01AM
Frankie_in_zone_7

It sounds like you will need "hardscape" and not living plant material to fit the high foot traffic itself even if you had better growing conditions. Hard to know what would look best without seeing the area and its relationship to your deck. So, a lower or floating deck, flagstones, crushed granite, or something like that. Again, the actual layout and where the logical pathway is and so on will determine whether the whole area is treated the same, or you create just pathway with some plantings to the side, or what.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™