Are these truly pine bark fines?

lunar_owl(7a / Long Island)May 24, 2014

I do not remember the brand name but they say "Pine Bark Fines", ingredients 100% forest product, and came in a 1.5 cubic feet bags at the Lowes by me.

They are a lot different then same of the other products I've seen suggest for use as "pine bark fines" so I am wondering if they are really pine bark fines or its another case of mislabeling.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jutsFL(9b (Orlando))

That looks to be dirt/soil... Definitely not pine bark

Jay

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 5:13PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Do you still have the bag with the label? If it actually said pine bark fines, that is what it should contain. But, no one else on this forum has reported being able to buy a product labelled PBF at Lowes in any of the hundreds of posts I've read over the past few years here. Forest product is not the same as PBF. It looks like overly composted bark to me. I don't think it's dirt or soil, although it may contain some of that if it's forest product. I would keep looking if I were you.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 7:52PM
the_yard_guy(6A)

I'm looking at this photo but it's hard to tell exactly what it is. The material looks very wet and heavily composted. The term "forest products" could be literally anything. Dirt, sapwood, bark, etc.

Personally I think I would look for something else. If this is your only option you could try it but no telling what this material really is. If you find actual pine bark, you will know it.

I'm attaching a photo of unscreened pine bark, directly out of a bag I used recently.

Hope that helps.

TYG

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 10:24PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

To me, pine bark fine should look like pine bark in color and texture. What you have appears to be some kind of compost with some chunky stuff in it.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:20AM
lunar_owl(7a / Long Island)

Weird, I got Seysonn reply on May 30 and jutsFL today. :-/

This is the bag that caused my confusion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes Website calls the brand

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 8:51AM
lunar_owl(7a / Long Island)

I use Agway's Pine Bark Mulch when I want a mix that drains really good but it takes me awhile to screen it - I keep stopping to try and pick out all the sapwood :-/

The one from Lowes is smaller so I haven't bothered to screen it - I have a tomato in it who seems to be doing better than the one I have in a mix with Agway's Mulch.

And this is how the stuff from Lowes looks dried out some:

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 9:05AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Very interesting. The photo of the stuff on the Lowes website looks just about perfect. And the label is just as you say. But the photo you showed and the one reviewer's comment suggest it looks more like dirt. So it is very composted. That's not really a major problem, though. I think I would use it if I couldn't find anything better. But if you do, leave out the peat and maybe double the perlite.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
Sponsored Products
Handmade Hollow Out Carved Wooden Leaf Traditional Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Pine Iron Toilet Paper Holder
Signature Hardware
Kauai Wall Sconce
$172.99 | Bellacor
Serena D'italia Lamps 27 in. Tiffany Wisteria Bronze Table Lamp with tree Trunk
Home Depot
Tracy Dining Side Chair in Black
$199.00 | LexMod