Help with Osmocote Plus for 5-1-1 mix substitute

habeMay 23, 2013

First off, greets to all on my first post.....

I'm getting ready to mix up my first batch of 5-1-1 mix for container gardening this weekend. Osmocote Plus seems to be the go-to product but, since it was discontinued, I can't locate any left over product in the 4.5# container. 50# bags seem plentiful on the net but, it would be way more than I would need and likely it would go bad before I could ever use that amount.

1. Is there another slow release product that would be recommended in it's place to get the mix started? Slo-release substitutions I've seen available are non-Plus Osmocote, Miracle Gro, etc.......

2. I also plan on supplement feeding with Foliage Pro but, it won't be delivered for a week or so. Would using some other slow release fertilizer (to get the mix started) + Foliage Pro create an over feeding situation?

Thanks,

habe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

You might want to consider one of the Dynamite controlled release fertilizers (CRF). I've linked to their website below. I think Home Depot stocks some of their products, but I'm not sure which ones.

As to your second question, experienced growers here in the Container forum often recommend combining a CRF with a soluble fertilizer like Foliage-Pro. The most often cited application rate is 1 tbsp of CRF per gallon of potting mix (ideally, this is incorporated prior to planting) plus a weak dose of soluble fertilizer at each watering (for Foliage Pro, that would be 1/4 tsp per gallon).

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite Plant Food

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:02PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I use MG Shake and Feed as a CRF for my containers. Walmart has it. And like shazamm said, 1 tablespoon per gallon of mix. I feed with MG liquid with every watering at 1/4 strength.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:17PM
habe

Shazaam and Ed, thanks! That answers my questions.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 7:55PM
sharonrossy

Anyone try the MG organic slow release fertilizer? I've had good results with it. The Shake and Feed Tomatoes was only available here in Montreal last year. I liked it too.
Sharon

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™