Arkansas - Pine bark fines

jusplayn(7a)May 2, 2012

Does anyone know of a source for pine bark fines in central Arkansas? The state tree is the pine tree and I can see a pine out of every window in my home, but nobody at the garden centers/nurseries has ever heard of pine bark fines.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Can you get pine bark mulch? What I have to do here in OK is buy mulch and screen it to the size I want.

mike

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 3:16PM
jusplayn(7a)

I have tried a couple bags of different brands of pine mulch and both had a lot(about 85%) of long stringy pieces and sapwood mixed in. What brand of mulch do you buy?

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 4:02PM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

I use Green Country Soils Pine Bark Mulch. Thats pretty much all that everyone carries here, Lowes, HD, Wally world. I guess because they are an oklahoma based company.

Out of a 2cf bag Id say on average 40% is of good size for the 5.1.1. I usually dont add much peat because I use everything that falls through a 1/4 screen. I havent made my own 5.1.1 lately because I started using Fafard's 52 mix which in my opinion is about as close to an off the shelf 5.1.1 mix.

Good luck.

Mike

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 4:30PM
Thymusismyfavorite

I live in central AR, and last year I found some good pine bark mulch at Kmart in Little Rock. It had very little sapwood and about 80-85% of it was the right size. The brand is Greenworld. I haven't seen it at any other stores in the area. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 10:28AM
ernie85017

What are pine bark fines, and what is their use?
THanks

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 12:58PM
ernie85017

What are pine bark fines, and what is their use?
THanks

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 1:07PM
jusplayn(7a)

Checked at K-Mart. the brand they are selling this year is Timberline, it has a lot of the stringy sapwood in the bag and not much fines. Also tried Scotchmans Choice at Wal-Mart, same thing. Almost think it would be easier to buy a small chipper/shredder and just get bags of pine bark nuggets to run through it.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 12:32PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

craigslist always seems to have used chipper/shredders for sale ....there isnt much of a resell market so sellers are willing to take 1/2 or 1/3 there asking price

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 1:32PM
fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)

I'm in N. La and use the Scotchmans Choice organic compost from Hope AR. I called the company and they confirmed that is pine bark fines. Actually it almost is too fine but I use it and it drains very well. I get it at Lowe's. It is never called "fines" around here, it is either organic compost or soil conditioner. Sometimes you have to look and feel and smell it too.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 6:43PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Fines is screened semi-composted pine bark right?

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 11:23PM
More Discussions
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™