Mini Rose in Gritty Mix? What to plant?

tropical_thought(San Francisco)May 16, 2012

I wanted to keep roses in pots. I have created Al's Gritty Mix, but everyone says roses are too big for pots, but what about those mini roses? I see them at grocery stores around this time of year. I got some mini roses once, but the died right away. I think they would like good drainage. Has anyone tried a mini rose?

What are some other suggestions for containers for the gritty mix? Ideally, I would not have to move them around much and the pots could be like garden accents. I have a number of pots waiting for plants. Of course, I have to get more of the ingredients first on ebay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of gritty mix

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redshirtcat(6a MO StL)

I have a Hot Tamale ("miniature" - 18" to 30" - http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1900 ) in the gritty mix and it is performing quite well. It overwintered indoors and is at least 30" and still pushing new growth.

Last year I grew productive tomatoes and peppers in the gritty mix as well. You can grow anything you want in the gritty mix. It all depends on how often you're willing to fertigate to keep the plants alive. If you used granite as your ballast then you could certainly put a full sized rose in a 16" pot without fear of it blowing over. Then the trick is to keep it watered.

You should think of the gritty mix as manual hydroponics with a buffer. The Turface/Axis might give you a day, or maybe 3-5 days depending on the plant, weather, and the size of the pot. My large citrus trees will wilt in the summer heat (say 90+ in full sun) without twice a day watering in the gritty mix.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™