What is this?

saoodhashimMarch 27, 2014

Found this insect - quite a number of them around my roof top garden. This is the first time I am seeing them (in last six months). Also saw this in one of the container containing cucumber seedlings.

What is this? Is this something beneficial or should I try to get rid of it? And if I I need to get rid of it. How should I do that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

The crucial question is it doing any damage to the plants? If not, then you don't have to do anything and it really doesn't matter what it is.

As to what it may be, not only will you have some different insects than we have here, but given the blurry photo, I could only make guesses based on the number of legs and what I think might be antennae. Could you provide a detailed description? Does it have wings?

Dave

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 11:47AM
saoodhashim

Thanks Dave for your response.

No it does not have wings but runs quite fast. Someone on some other forum told me that it might be mole cricket. Do you think so?

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 11:53AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The picture is too blurry for me to name it a mole cricket with certainty though that is the first thing I thought of at first glance. It does appear to be an Orthoptera member.

Have you looked up images of mole crickets to see if there's a good match? Unless you can get a better picture, you are the only one who has seen this insect in person.

Mole crickets are very easily recognized and I've seen a million of them, but your image is simply too blurry, sorry.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 1:35PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

If someone already suggested mole cricket then the first thing I would do is look them up and compare my bug with all the pictures of them available. I'd pay special attention to the front legs and see if yours has the digging claws characteristic of mole crickets.

If not then I agree that the Orthopteras are the first thing I thought of but there are tons of things in that order and Google will pull up tons of info on them as well as photos. But again, if there is no plant damage then you don't need to worry about it..

If it doesn't have wings then it could easily still be in nymph stage.

Dave

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
What is wrong with my cauliflower head?
One of my cauliflowers with the same soil, fertilizer,...
djkj
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
Beginner with a large garden
So my wife and I just moved into our new home in the...
chaven
Safe termite control for organic garden
We have termites in our organic garden again this year! Last...
sctn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™