Pumpkins in half wine barrel

kristimamaMay 7, 2011

Anyone know how many pumpkin seedlings (musquee de provence and/or queensland blue) you can put into a half wine barrel? I have a terraced hillside and I'm going to put the wine barrel on one level and the vines will grow up and out over the next level, so I don't have to do any terracing.

Space to grow and spread won't be a problem. Just wondering how many I can put into the wine barrel before the roots start competing.

Thanks,

KMama

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rain1950(W. WA z8)

Per the AZ Ag. Dept. Intensive gardening specs; 24 to 36 inch spacing. So being that a 'hill' is normally 2 or 3 plants; there's your answer ( 2 or 3 planted centered in the barrel. I would use a mix rich with composted manure; keep it watered and use a time released fertilizer.

Personally; my choice would be musquee de provence.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 8:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave_a

It really depends what you want out of your plants. 2-3 plants is probably fine for smaller fruited varieties, but if you want jack o' lantern or larger varieties I would go with 1 plant and remove all fruit beyond the number you want from that plant for most satisfying results.

I routinely grow various pumpkins and gourds 2 per 2 sq feet of growing mix, but I don't expect much in terms of size from them. When I want smaller numbers of fruit, but larger size it's a single plant with number of fruit set severely limited.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 3:06AM
More Discussions
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™