5 gal. pails OK for San Marzano Tomatoes & Al's 5-1-1 mixture?

recoil_rob(6)May 11, 2011

Having limited ground space this year we're considering growing a crop of Sam Marzano tomatoes in containers.

Would we be doing well by putting each plant in it's own 5gal. bucket, using Al's 5-1-1 mixture? Is 5 gal. large enough?

I used Al's other mixture when repotting my fig trees last year and they are doing very well!

thanks, Rob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

You'll probably get a lot of opinions on this. I'm growing tomatoes in containers this year for the first time. I'm trying several sizes from 5-22gal. I've seen photos of great plants in 5gal, and a lot of suggestions that bigger pots are better, which I kind of agree with. The best arguement for 5 gal containers is that maybe they won't grow huge and produce tons of tomatoes, but not everybody wants that. Smaller plants and fewer toms are just fine with some. This is my general opinion. I don't know anything about the size of San Marzano plants specifically. If it's a smallish plant it might do ok.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 8:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I don't think 5 gallons is large enough for San Marzanos. The three I grew in a 25 gallon container were well over 7 feet tall. I would advise you to use pots that are at least 10-15 gallons (one plant only per pot) or choose a smaller bush type dwarf tomato for anything smaller. In my pot I had to water every day when the plants were full size.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™