Growing Peppers for 1st time in Containers

uaskigyrl(7)May 19, 2013

Hi all!

I'm growing peppers for the first time ever in containers. are 5 gallon containers sufficient? I have jalapeno, habanero, big jim, and poblano. Currently I have big jim and poblano in their own containers and the jalapeno and habanero in a container together. Also, will they need cages? I know poblanos and big jims are pretty heavy peppers, so I'm concerned about them breaking.

Thanks
Jessica

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hi, Jessica! Welcome to container peppers :-)
All of the varieties you mention will grow well in 5-gallon containers, although in your warm zone 9 location, you might consider going 7 - 10-gallons - the larger volume will hold moisture longer and also prevent the roots from becoming overheated. If the containers are too hot, you can move them into more shade or lean a board against the containers to block the sun.

I would separate the Jalapeno and the Habanero because the Jalapeno will outgrow the Hab very quickly. Cages will certainly support the plants better. Those small tomato cages are perfect for peppers.

Josh

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 2:13PM
uaskigyrl(7)

i dont know why my zone is posting 9, it's actually 7 (I moved away from 9 a year and a half ago!), silly GardenWeb. Also, I don't know why I said habanero, I meant tabasco! lol

Either way, I will repot the jalapeno soon.

My plants are still very, very young. When should I cage them? When they get much bigger and I can tell which way they are growing or should I do it now?

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:50PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

You can cage them now or later.
I put the cages on early so that my cats don't flop down on my tiny seedlings, but as long as you cage them before you run the risk of damaging branches, they'll be fine.

Josh

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Question for Al (tapla) re bark in gritty mix
I live in Australia and just starting to experiment...
alan.oz
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™