Newbie Please Help! ( A soil mix question)

JenEstellaMay 1, 2012

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are new to container vegetable gardening and are trying to figure out the best way to fill three planters we built (they're pretty large each one is about 6'L x 2'W x 1.5'D). It seems like a lot of people have success with the 5-1-1 soil mix, however it seems a bit of pain to take everything out and refill every year especially since our outdoor space is up two flights of stairs, through a quirky Brooklyn apartment, above a garage. Anyway, we are planning on growing peppers in one, tomatoes in another, and the third will have peas and cucumbers. All of which will have a border of trailing tuberous begonias for color. We were wondering what you all would suggest for some newbies in desperate need of help. Thanks and any advice is much appreciated!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Just for clarification - the bark in the 5:1:1 mix breaks down at about 1/4 the rate of peat on a (particle) size for size basis. When you consider the larger particle size of the bark used in the 5:1:1 mix, which also slows breakdown, it's not difficult to see that the life of the 5:1:1 mix as it relates to retaining suitable structure is at LEAST 4-5 times greater than peat-based soils. You'd be far better served to press the 5:1:1 mix into subsequent years of service than a peat-based soil by a wide margin; plus, the 5:1:1 mix will probably end up being about half the price of anything you might want to use from a bag.

Al

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Pine fines with Biochar?
My garden center carries a product (can't recall the...
mblan13
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Sponsored Products
Authentic Models Furniture Bombay Box 15.7L x 26H File Cabinet
$565.00 | LuxeDecor
Authentic Models Furniture Bombay Box Honey 15.7L x 26H File Cabinet
$565.00 | LuxeDecor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™