plant broccoli before a freeze, or no?
I've managed to start some Waltham broccoli from seed this year, and they're doing great. I'd call them ready for transplant into the garden.
The seedlings have been outdoors for a week or two, and are hardened off...BUT we had an unseasonably warm week last week, with weather in the 70s or even 80s, and the seedling have never seen a frost.
Now the temps are back to what you'd expect for the season, and the weather predictions say that it will drop into the high 20s a couple of nights this week.
Am I asking for trouble to transplant these seedlings right before the temps dip below freezing? Should I wait until I expect a few above-freezing nights in a row? Should I wait until the seedlings have gone through a frost in their pots?
Then again, maybe this is the perfect use for my excess of seedlings. I supposed I could try some of each, and see how it goes...but I'd love to hear what the rest of you think.