raised beds in flood zone

rob_and_sandyMarch 15, 2012

We are looking for a solution to screw down the bottom layer of landscape ties to the soil, like a miniature version of the screw-in anchors that are used for telephone pole guy wires. We get 3-6' of floodwaters during hurricanes, and our past raised beds have had the 4-high system of screwed-together landscape ties float down the creek. I bought special 10" hex head screws to hold down all layers except the bottom one, which needs to be held tightly to the ground. We don't want to dig and pour concrete, rather would like screw anchors that go into the ground---need a source...........Thanks, Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frankielynnsie(7B)

What about the screw in the ground dog tie out things?

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 9:57PM
karinl(BC Z8)

Lee Valley carries three products that might adapt to your use. If the link doesn't take you to the right place, search the Lee Valley site for ground anchor.

The big plastic screw is HUGE. It is meant to hold a pole, but you could maybe tie a rope around it.

Karin L

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley's ground anchors

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 12:38AM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

Unless you are setting the lag bolt in bedrock, you will still require a solid footing to which embed your bolt into for long time security.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 1:22AM
whitecap2

Rebar is pretty easy to drive into the ground, and conveniently comes in various lengths. I suppose, were you hardheaded enough, you could drive sections into the ground, flush against the lower timber, and tie them off somehow.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 11:42AM
karinl(BC Z8)

Or, maybe raised beds made of stone simply make more sense in flood zones?

Karin L

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 11:55AM
nandina(8b)

Random thoughts on the subject:

1. Why the determination to have the beds four timbers high? This height provides more of a tall obstruction for the force of the moving flood waters to push against.

2. Why not beds just one or two landscape timbers high with holes drilled into them to accept rebar; same idea as the deadman method of building retaining walls. Lower profile surface presented to moving water. Much less expense involved to replace if disaster strikes. Does not alter plant growth.

3. Sorry. At the moment I am unable to answer your question. Hurricane territory usually means sandy to pure sand soil which is not stable and needs the weight of attachments inserted in concrete to secure and stabilize above ground projects.

4. Perhaps building the beds with second-hand rejected concrete block usually available at manufacturers yards, stacking them and driving rebar through the holes into the earth might be a better plan. The block will not move as far and can be used to rebuild again.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 3:37PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

The specific problem with flooding and landscape timbers is buoyancy force. So changing to something that isn't going to float will be a step in the right direction. Then the question will be how much lateral force is there, or is it OK for the walls to just fall over and be rebuilt.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
Raised Garden Bed Construction Help
Hello Everyone! What wonderful help! I've built about...
Garden Chickee
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Sponsored Products
Colored Plains Wall Decor
| Dot & Bo
Serena & Lily Fouta Yarn-Dyed Stripe Duvet Cover
Serena & Lily
Cielos Bath Rug 24" x 36" - BUTTER
$54.90 | Horchow
VIG Furniture - B802 - Modern Eco-Leather Bed - VGEVBB802
Great Furniture Deal
Arbor Canopy Pet Bed Dog Bed
$349.99 | FRONTGATE