mistake in mixing 5-1-1

mrtulinMay 29, 2011

I wasn't paying attention and mixed together turface and perlite for the 5-1-1 mix. Stopped there. I have the reptibark and sphagnum moss but I didn't want to compound my mistake.

I don't care if I make a gritty or more organic mix, I'd just like to be able to use what I put together.

Also the sphagnum I bought is 'real sphagnum' and some pieces are 2 inches long. Can I just roughly tear these apart, or leave as is for the mix?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Phildeez(9b)

You definitely want the peat dispersed as evenly as possible for even moisture and drainage. As for the turface/perlite, I think you can just use the same 1 part of your mixture without any problems, since perlite and turface are interchangeable in the 5-1-1 mix. Hopefully someone more experienced can confirm this.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 12:37PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

With the turface and perlite, you might be able to eliminate the peat in this batch.

Turface holds much more moisture than perlite. Turface holds moisture internally, whereas
perlite hold moisture in external or surface pores.

Josh

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 2:36PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Also wanted to add that Phil is correct. Chop that sphagnum into fine particulate.

Josh

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 4:40PM
mrtulin

This "as is from the bogs of Canada" sphagnum was expensive! Never mind. What is the correct sphagnum to buy (if this ever runs out)

Still not sure whether there is consensus on rehabilitating the mix.
mt

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 4:47PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

You can use the perlite and turface in 5-1-1 if you cut back on the sphagnum peat a little. Your mix will be more water retentive, but you'll just need to be a little more careful about watering. But I don't think you should use the sphagnum moss at all. Sphagnum peat has completely different properties. It is usually dark brown and comes in big compressed bales. It's almost powdery. Long fiber sphagnum moss is sometimes used in orchid mixes, but I don't think it is suitable in regular potting mixes.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 5:00PM
mrtulin

Thanks.....that info on the long fiber sphagnum moss is disappointing.
Marie

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 8:53PM
mrtulin

I wanted to bump this up and see if anyone else has comments.
Thanks,
Marie

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 10:28PM
cebury(9)

Marie,

It's already been a few weeks but since you were looking for more input and didn't receive a reply... I did the same thing once on accident. I did as Josh stated above: I reduced the amount of peat proportionally (basically I substituted turface for peat) in that "scoop". However, I did do a complete 5-1-1 of bark, turface, perlite. In the end, I added more peat and perlite, so it was more like 5-(1/2&1/2)-(1/2&1/2). Make sense? It worked fine.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 5:47AM
More Discussions
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™