New to Gardening - wet - containers- yellow spots

Desireea3May 3, 2013

I am new to GA, new to gardening and I need help. It have been wet/raining/no sun for almost two weeks now and my very healthy plants have these small yellow circles on them. The picture I included is of my Zucchini plant but some of my beans, tomatoes and flowers have the same spots. I cannot find any pictures that match this so I am at a lost as to what it is or how to treat. I cannot find any bugs under the leaves and I have liitle gray flies that sometimes come up from the soil but I dug out some of the dirt and the roots look fine. I put a thin layer of ceder around the plants to try to keep the flies, ants and other bugs out. The yellow spots are getting worse though they are spreading and only showed up after the weather turned.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I'm definitely no zone 8 expert, but in spite of the spots the leaves look pretty good. As long as it doesn't get worse and start killing the plant you might be ok. You might have to begin spraying with your insecticide and/or fungicide of choice.

This post was edited by edweather on Sat, May 4, 13 at 0:36

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 10:31PM
dsb22(z7 VA)

Hi,
if you know of a good nursery in your area, take in some sample leaves from all your plants and see what they say. You can also look up your local USDA county extension office and take them there. There are some mosaic viruses that can affect multiple types of plants. Worst case scenario, if you have to start over with zucchini, you can start from seed and have blossoms again in no time. It's still early for everything else too. It'd be important to id the cause of the problem though, so you know if you can can reuse your soil.
Hopefully it's just something minor related to the rain.

Here is a link that might be useful: County Extension Office lookup

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 8:58AM
Renny30(7)

I'm in the Atlanta area. I have the same spots on my cukes. Can't say my leaves look as healthy. I'd given up on them. I'll try my local extension office tomorrow. I find them to be very helpful.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
Soil for elephant ear plant?
I'm getting ready to plant an elephant ear plant in...
bunky_mi
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Fabric Pots - Decor Question
Good afternoon everyone. I'm thinking of growing a...
veegardens
Sponsored Products
Rizzy Home Mustard Embroidery Decorative Throw Pillow - T04906
$34.00 | Hayneedle
Peri Lime Satin Nickel Sconce
$166.50 | Bellacor
Darya Rugs Modern, Yellow, 6'2" x 9'5" M1770-447
Darya Rugs
Mid-Century Slope Chair in Pop Yellow
$134.99 | Dot & Bo
Agave Cone Pendant
Lightology