Filled in Swimming Pool Does Not Drain Well

anise_hyssop(8)March 26, 2013

I moved into this house at the end of last summer. It has a filled in swimming pool in the front yard, a 14' x 24' oval. There are some plants growing there--ferns, salal, clover, a groundcover, a shrub. This winter, with the Puget Sound rains, I see that the pool drains very poorly. The water peeks through the soil in the low spots, almost up to the rim of the pool. it does drain--very slowly--but there's always new rain to refresh it. I imagine come summer, it will drain out completely, but I'm not positive. You can see in the picture how the previous owners put some rock in the low spot--and I thought it was just decoration! All the neighbors say the previous owners broke up the bottom of the pool, but obviously not well enough. Now I know why the little cherry tree in the middle of it is dying.
I was hoping to make this my main year round veggie garden space--full sun all day. And it's the best space on the property. Any suggestions? I don't have the resources to have it excavated and redone. I'm considering raising the soil a foot in beds, or, perhaps waiting for it to drain and dig down in order to knock out some of the sides. I'm concerned the water will just stay sponged in the pool area and not drain out the sides into the more hard packed surrounding soil, even if part of the sides were missing. I appreciate any advice or experience you can share with me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

That looks like a mess to deal with! Cranberry bog maybe? =D

The pool forum guys might be able to help you identify what your pool is (was) and maybe recommend a course of action. I have a feeling it's going to involve a lot of labor.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/pools/

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 10:15PM
marcinde(7)

Wow. I'm used to seeing people break up the bottom of the pool, then jackhammer the sides down into the hole. Given that it looks like your bond beam is completely intact I wouldn't be at all shocked to learn they filled in an almost intact shell. Holy crap.

I guess if there's no budget to rectify it you could, as a short term measure, build yourself some raised beds on it. But that's going to be one heck of a mosquito breeding ground.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 12:20PM
gardengal48

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!!

Poor winter drainage is a fact of life in the Puget Sound area. One of the ways to work around poorly draining areas is to convert them into rain gardens. These collect run-off during the rainy season and disperse it through the soil via plantings. Ideally this is done without any sort of side containment (like your old pool exhibits) other than the contour of the land. I might want to investigate hiring some muscle to break out portions of the side barrier if possible.

You can also turn this into more of a garden feature by incorporating it into the end of a dry stream bed (or seasonal dry streambed), with suitable plantings both along the streambed and in the 'pool'.

As to any mosquito issues.......wetness is very seasonal here in the PNW. Typically, it is dry as a bone through most of the summer when mosquitos are present and breeding. Unless the former pool/pond doesn't drain at all, I doubt you have much to worry about in that regard.

Here is a link that might be useful: King County rain garden resources

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect?
Can anyone tell me what is the difference? I am considering...
forensicmom
retaining wall on a budget
I would appreciate any suggestions on what materials...
festucablue
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Accent Rug: Legacy Autumn Black 1' 10" x 3' 3"
$38.97 | Home Depot
Stufurhome 23" Magnolia Single Sink Vanity with Mirror - Dark Brown
Modern Bathroom
Typewriter Beige 'F' Pillow w/ Poly Fill
$62.95 | Bellacor
Science of Sleep SleePap Soft Polyester-fill Polycotton-covered Pillow for CPAP
Overstock.com
Carson 44 in. Signature Series Love Wind Chime - 60236
$79.99 | Hayneedle
CCGRC LED Exit/ Emergency Light with Remote Capacity - Green Letters, White Hous
LBC Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™